When we’re handling food, we may pay special attention to expiry dates on dairy products and practice safe handling with meat, but the recent recall of Robin Hood flour nationwide illustrates how we should never regard any food product as “safe”, either at home or in a foodservice operation.Read More
2017-03-31 11:58 AM
2016-08-26 12:12 PM
If your restaurant has an outdoor patio there is nothing more enjoyable for your guests than dining al fresco.
Add an outdoor cooking station to the mix and your clientele can also enjoy watching your talented chefs prepare their meals.
But summer’s warm humid temperatures are perfect conditions for bacterial growth – making it the perfect breeding ground for foodborne illnesses. The Government of Canada estimates that there are 4 million cases of foodborne illness each year, but with a few simple safety tips your outdoor patio can be a safe, delicious place for your guests to dine and enjoy the beautiful Canadian summer and fall.Read More
2016-05-02 12:19 PM
Allergies are coming back into the picture in a big way. In 2015, one of the largest surveys conducted on the subject revealed that one in 13 Canadians has a serious food allergy – 7.5% of children and adults. Conscientious restaurateurs, food service operators and chains already have some systems in place to help ensure that their allergic diners don’t accidentally eat something they shouldn’t.Read More
2016-03-14 12:27 PM
Chipotle went to market with a unique strategy for a fast food chain: use fresh, local, and in some cases organic ingredients to create a unique experience for customers. Its vision and marketing tapped into the current anti-fast-food zeitgeist, and it worked. Chipotle became America’s “healthy” fast food option.Read More
2016-01-20 12:38 PM
Health Canada recently updated its MICROWAVE FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES. With over 4 million cases of food poisoning per year in Canada, both commercial food service workers and consumers can benefit from more education on how to make sure the food you are reheating in the microwave is safe.